Sunday 25 May 2014

Un peu de Paris à Londres: A little bit of Paris in London.



Hello my lovelies, I know it's been a while since I have posted every time I sat down to write I was not inspired or liked anything I had written hence there were no posts. I'm really sorry if you were looking forward to my regular posts on Wednesday and Sunday. However I hope today's post makes up for it. I was so honoured that my dear friend Virginia invited me to see 'Dialogues des Carmèlites' by Francis Poulenc’s 1957 Opera directed by Robert Carsen. I was SO excited to see my friend in action. I arrived at The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. I collected my ticket that was reserved for me. There was this grand stairway in front of me as I approached the theatre. I was welcomed by Virginia's friends and family. I settled down into my seat as I waited patiently for the production to begin. The theatre we were sat in was beyond beautiful the intricate detailing of the ceiling. I absorbed the atmosphere like a sponge. I was in awe. This was my first time seeing an Opera and I must say it's such an amazing experience, I thank Virginia for allowing me to be there on her special  day. I felt very posh saying to my family "I'm off to see the Opera." We were watching their first full dress rehearsal. I think they all did a great performance especially since it was a dress rehearsal, I was expecting a lot of interruptions but it was just like it was their first show it didn't seem like a rehearsal at all. During the first Act I was a little confused with the story line but thank god there were subtitles. The set is minimalistic which works really well as the set does not draw any attention away from the performers. I admire the performers, I know how hard it is to remember lines let alone they had to remember their positions on stage, each scene that takes place and on top of that singing in French. I know it's not an easy thing to do, a lot of work goes on behind the scenes but as an audience member seeing it for the first time it all came together beautifully.  The use of performers as props was very effective. The performers on stage were mesmerising. I love the theatre and I try to make sure I go. The best thing about being in a theatre is that for 2 hours or so the outside world is off and you solely concentrate on the live performers on stage. Every time I'm in the theatre I'm totally transported to the world of where the characters are, somehow I forget that I am sitting in a theatre surrounded by other audience members. I do recommend you do go see this performance at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. It's such a beautiful, powerful and emotional story line. The performance begins on 29 May-11 June.


Here's the link to the Royal Opera House:  http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/dialogues-des-carmelites-by-robert-carsen

Here's a link to Robert Carson briefely discussing the performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2wTpSIY_rM






To end the lovely day but to continue on with the Parison theme I went to Ladurée and got myself Macaroons and guess what?!? They sell my favourite tea 'The Melange special' along with others. I am so happy now I can drink my favourite tea In the comfort of my home. 




Details: a box of 8 macaroons £14 and the tea £9. 

I hope you enjoyed this post, please let me know in the comments what you think? Have you been to the Opera before? Let me know, I would love to read about your experience. Thank you, until... next time :) 

Lots of love, 

Simran xxx

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful post. You really capture the essence of the Opera. Also thank you for including the links that help understand the opera. Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete